This post is sponsored by Bertolli®. As always, all opinions are my own. #ReachforRustic
One of the most unexpected parts of starting a blog for me has been the people I’ve met and the friendships I’ve formed. In general, blogging is a mostly solo show behind a computer. But as someone who is quite social, I jump at the opportunity to meet new people.
So when I was recently invited to a dinner hosted by Bertolli®, you better believe I said yes in an instant. The event did not disappoint!
Being a fairly recent transplant to New York City, I was excited to find out the event was being held at the Terrace at Gramercy Park Hotel. The venue was stunning. It was filled with natural light, beautiful plants, and it truly felt like I could have been in a quaint little town in Italy. It was the perfect setting to discover the new Bertolli® Rustic Cut™ Pasta Sauces.
The evening started with passed hor d’oeuvres and drinks, along with a fun photo booth where I was whisked away to Tuscany on the cutest bicycle.
Not only was the space filled with delicious food and beautiful decor, but it was full of vivacious people who I connected with over our bond of blogging and our excitement to try Bertolli’s latest sauces.
Each course at dinner featured one of four new Rustic Cut Pasta Sauces. What I love about these sauces is that they are made with hearty ingredients. They contain no added sugar and are made with extra virgin olive oil – something that’s not always easy to find in a store-bought pasta sauce!
And even with all of their simple ingredients, these sauces are still super affordable. In fact, Bertolli has just launched the Bravo Rewards program, making their products an even better deal. By simply buying two or more jars of any Bertolli Pasta Sauce in one trip to the store and then posting a photo of your receipt on bertolli.com/bravo, you’ll could receive a custom, ceramic spoon rest. How fun is that!
I left the night with a satisfied stomach, some new friends, and feeling inspired to create a recipe to go along with the new flavors I discovered.
I chose to make these 100% Whole Wheat Breadsticks for you because they are made with simple ingredients, just like Bertolli’s Rustic Cut Pasta Sauces. Any of their sauces would pair great with these, but my personal choice is the Garlic Marinara. I love this it’s made with crisp vegetables and doesn’t need to be doctored up! It can just be poured from the jar and served.
- 1 tsp active dry yeast (1/2 packet)
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix yeast, warm water, and honey in a small bowl. Allow to sit until bubbly, about 10-15 minutes. If bubbles don't appear, your yeast may be too old.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, olive oil, and salt. Make a hole in the middle and add yeast mixture once bubbly. Mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Dough should be slightly sticky. If it doesn't easily pull away from the side of the bowl, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until it no longer sticks. If it's too dry, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until correct consistency is achieved.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured counter. Knead dough until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Don't overwork the dough.
- Roll out dough into a log about 15 inches long by 4 inches wide.
- Cut dough into 10 even strips, about 1.5 inches wide.
- Roll each strip of dough into 7 inch long breadsticks.
- Place breadsticks on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Cover with a kitchen towel and set in a warm place.
- Allow dough to rise for about 1 hour.
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Once breadsticks are done rising, drizzle with melted butter and season with oregano, garlic powder, and salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with Bertolli® Rustic Cut™ Roasted Garlic Marinara Pasta Sauce.
- Because these breadsticks are made entirely with whole wheat flour, they are a bit denser than traditional breadsticks. For a fluffier dough, use half whole wheat and half all purpose flour.
Thanks to Bertolli® for sponsoring this post. It was a blast to attend their event and create a recipe featuring their Rustic Cut™ Pasta Sauces!
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!