Last week my mom came for a visit. Time with her is always filled with lots of great laughs, great fun, and great food. We typically go out to eat when she’s here, but being that it was her sixth visit from North Dakota in the nearly 2 years we’ve been in Chicago (time flies!), she didn’t really care about having that Chicago deep dish pizza again, so we opted for mostly cooking at home, which was perfect. This meant more time relaxing, less time traveling, and it also meant lots of leftovers. So many in fact that I didn’t need to go grocery shopping last week after she left!
So just in case you’ve been keeping track of my grocery hauls, please know that I did not mistakenly skip a week of groceries. Also, this week’s haul doesn’t follow my typical schedule. I went shopping on Friday instead of Sunday because this coming weekend we are headed to New Orleans for a little vacation! Can’t wait for some sun and delicious food.
Onto the grocery goods!
For this week’s haul, I stopped at Trader Joe’s, Jewel, and Mariano’s. Total spent: $73.00. This is $3 over our weekly budget, but as I mentioned, we didn’t have to go shopping at all last week.
This Week’s Grocery Haul Highlights
- Organic Popping Corn $1.99/28oz bag @ Trader Joe’s. I picked this up to make homemade microwave popcorn. Read this post to learn how to make it yourself!
- Grape Tomatoes $2.69/lb @ Trader Joe’s.
- Strawberries $3.99/3lb @ Jewel. That’s just $1.33/lb. SCORE!
- Asparagus $1.99/lb @ Jewel. Although this is a good price, once I got to Mariano’s, I found that their asparagus was only $1.49/lb, an unadvertised special. Boo! Oh well. You can’t win ’em all.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower $.95/lb @ Mariano’s. Yes!!
- Sweet Potatoes $.65/lb @ Mariano’s. Steal of a deal.
- Yellow Onions $1.25/3lb bag @ Mariano’s. That makes them $.42/lb!
- Beets $.45/lb @ Mariano’s. Have I mentioned my love for beets? This price makes me love them even more.
*Tip: Did you know that Mariano’s refunds you $.05 for every reusable bag you use? I usually bring 4 bags with me, saving me $.20. It may not be much, but it’s nice to know they recognize the value in using less plastic bags!
If you want to take a look at my budget grocery price list, head on over to this page! It outlines the maximum prices I’ll pay for any of my groceries.
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!