Welcome to another Weekly Grocery Haul! This week, you’re going to see a few new items added to my haul. If you’ve been curious about how I define my diet, I’ve posted about it here. In a nutshell, I stick to eating unprocessed, natural foods. My real food journey began by doing a Whole30 in January 2014, then I transitioned to Paleo. After more than a year of living this way, my husband and I are now experimenting with eating grains and adding in dairy. For me, eating Paleo has had a huge positive impact on the way I think about food, and it continues to influence how I cook and eat, but I think it’s time for a change.
My ultimate goal is to have a healthy relationship with food – unlike the battle I’ve struggled with for so many years. I’m a rule follower, which is why doing a Whole30 wasn’t all that difficult for me. What’s hard for me is once the rules are gone, learning to not run wild. And by that I mean just because I am no longer restricting foods, doesn’t mean I can eat 10 of those cookies at the office. I still need to decide if for my health, it’s worthwhile to eat the cookies or if I should just pass on them all together. I’m an all-or-nothing person, and I want to find balance, especially with my eating habits. So it’s time to stop restricting and start learning how to do this.
Onto the grocery goodies.
This Week’s Grocery Haul Highlights:
I was way under my $70 weekly grocery budget! I spent a mere $54.58 at Mariano’s this week and I even picked up some non-essentials.
- Pork Shoulder. $1.99/lb @ Mariano’s. Pulled pork is so simple. Just salt and pepper it, stick it in your slow cooker with a half cup of water and cook on low for 8 hours. It’s seriously so good all by itself. Even better? Slow cook it in your over at 300F for 5-6 hours. The brown bits on the bottom of the pan caramelize and give your pork the juiciest flavor.
- Beets. $.50/lb @ Mariano’s. I’m so obsessed with beets this winter. Not only do I love their sweet, earthy taste, you can’t beat their price!
- Black Beans. $.75/can @ Mariano’s. If I’m going to start buying beans, you better believe that I’m going to buy them dry and in bulk, but my husband really wanted them for dinner the night we went grocery shopping… So I agreed to one can.
- Peanut Butter. $2.99/16oz jar @ Mariano’s. Did you know that peanuts are actually a legume and not a nut? That’s why you can’t have them on the Paleo diet. But we are opting for this much cheaper-than-almond-butter spread that contains just peanuts and salt.
- Corn Tortillas. $.39/12 pack @ Mariano’s. I love that these corn tortillas have three simple ingredients – corn, water, and lime. Tip: Click the heart on my Instagram post below to learn how to make chips from tortillas!
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!