Hello everyone and welcome to any first time readers! Did you know that each week I post exactly what I bought for groceries? I have a $70 weekly food budget for two adults. I give you all the details on these posts, including the receipts and pictures of my haul, so you can see just how I stick to this budget. I’m located in Chicago, and I understand that grocery prices vary from city to city, so my goal here is to give you an idea of what I buy as a guide for you as you navigate the world of clean eating budget grocery shopping in your area! If you haven’t already, read this post on the maximum price I’ll pay for anything.
- This month I made my first visit to Costco, where I spent almost $72 of my monthly food budget. Read about it here! This means I have $52 left to spend on my weekly groceries, so I actually went over this week’s allowance by $4.51. But I’m not worried because I bought…
- Almonds! $9.99/2lb at Jewel. This is what put me over on my weekly budget, but 2 pounds of almonds will last us the entire month. Recently, the price of almonds has been raised to $6.49/lb at Trader Joe’s, my usual go to store for inexpensive nuts, so I bought in bulk to get Jewel’s better price of $4.99/lb.
- FREE Canada Dry Seltzer Water! Who doesn’t love FREE?! Jewel came out with a new digital coupon program called MyMixx. Right now they are offering free Canada Dry seltzer water, so check it out here for this awesome deal!
- Kalona Organic Grass Fed Whole Milk. $4.29/half gallon at Mariano’s. I’ve been following a primarily Paleo diet for a year now, but do buy some dairy products from time to time. This is my go to brand when I buy milk. It’s locally sourced just over the Illinois border in Kalona, IA!
- Pepper Steak. $4.05/lb at Jewel. Tip: Look for the sale area in your meat section. My Jewel has a section where they put all the meat that needs to go quickly (i.e. sell by date within a few days). Each package typically has a special coupon attached for $1, $2, or $3 off that item. This steak was originally $6.49/lb, but I got it for only $4.05/lb!
- Organic Baby Carrots. $1.00/16oz bag at Mariano’s. I don’t know why, but the organic baby carrots are cheaper than the conventional at Mariano’s. If you never check the organic items at your store, you might be missing out on some great deals!
- Fennel! $.88/lb at Mariano’s. Whenever I see a new-to-me veggie for $.99 or less a pound, I snatch it up. It’s fun cooking with something I’ve never tried before. I’ll let you know how the fennel goes!
For full details on this week’s grocery haul, click on the receipts below. It’ll enlarge the image so you can see exactly what and how much I bought.
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!