With the aftermath of Thanksgiving still lingering around our apartment, plus the stocking up I did with my Jewel gift card last week, I didn’t need to buy as many staple groceries this week. I still had a few dollars left on my gift card, so even though this week’s grocery total equaled $58.96, my out of pocket expense was just $50.71.
Even though I enjoy doing my Sunday grocery haul, I often find I’m not in the mood to cook something lavish, so Sunday is usually a relaxing evening with one of our favorite meals, tacos! You’ve probably noticed our corn tortilla chips pop up in my posts most weeks. This is one of our favorite treats, although I’m not so sure it can be called a treat if we are buying it nearly every time we grocery shop… So I guess our beloved tortilla chips are really one of the conscious items we choose to eat that isn’t quite as strict as our others. And chocolate chips… But even though we eat tortilla chips, I still typically make grain-free, paleo tortillas, and we always use homemade taco seasoning. It’s made with simple spices that you probably have in your pantry now – chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, and add salt to taste. Let’s face it, most people probably use one or two of the processed packets at the store which each cost $.99. I love not only knowing exactly what ingredients are in my taco seasoning, but I also love saving money, too!
- More Broccoli! – $.19/lb @ Jewel; ’nuff said
- Bananas – $.19/lb @ Jewel; Jewel was killin’ it this week!
- Ground Beef – $7.47/3lb @ Jewel; $2.49/lb – it’s usually $8.99 for the 3lb chub, so this was great! An expert tip: Use paper towels to blot out excess grease from your pan and even rinse it under water through a strainer. This makes your beef just as good as the ultra-expensive extra lean ground beef.
A few things I wasn’t so happy about:
- Trader Joe’s was out of their bacon ends and pieces – boo! So I settled for paying $1 more for their uncured applewood smoked bacon with the exact same ingredients as my usual fave.
- Trader Joe’s tuna in olive oil. I forgot to buy tuna for Ty at Jewel or Mariano’s, so I settled for TJ’s. I bought one can of the albacore and one of the yellowfin. Ty said both were fine, but at $2.29/can instead of our usual $1.49 for StarKist tuna in olive oil, we aren’t going to be making this a long term change.
- The price of eggs has gone up! Instead of $1.79 like it’s been for FOREVER, it’s now $1.99.
You’ll also probably notice two splurges…
Chai Tea Latte. Ty doesn’t drink coffee and not much tea, but he does like chai tea lattes. We discovered this delicious clean drink by Oregon Chai on sale at Mariano’s this week for $3.49/32oz carton. We opted for the slightly sweet which only has 7g of sugar as compared to the original with 19g (uff-da!) and it was perfect.
EGGNOG!!!! ‘Tis the season, right? We did our best and chose the cleanest option we could find, which really didn’t mean much. This was a one time holiday purchase and we opted for the brand Horizon Organic. What we dislike the most about the ingredients is the carrageenan. If we happen to crave it again, I’ll make my own!
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!