It was recently my husband Ty’s birthday and I wanted to make something with a little Mexican flair since that’s his favorite cuisine. I didn’t want to just do plain old tacos, and since we were having friends over for light bites, I didn’t want anything too heavy either. That’s when I decided to get a little creative. I took some corn tortillas, a mason jar, and knife and started to make my own little mini taco shells. The result? These oh so adorable and oh so delicious Tiny Taco Bites.
- 8 corn tortillas (75 g) $.26
- 8 oz pork shoulder, roasted (or other leftover meat) (227 g) $1.25
- 1.5 tbsp taco seasoning, homemade (9 g) $.02
- 6 tbsp salsa (96 g) $.36
- 1 lettuce leaf, shredded (9 g) $.02
- 1 tbsp cheese, finely shredded (7 g) $.09
- mason jar (or something of equal size to cut mini tortillas)
- 24 cup mini muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Using your mason jar as a guide, cut three mini tortillas from each large tortilla, making a total of 24. I found I was able to stack and cut through 3 large tortillas at once.
- Mix together the meat and taco seasoning.
- Microwave mini tortillas for 15 seconds. This helps make them pliable.
- Place one mini tortilla and 1 tsp of meat in each mini muffin tin. The meat will act as a weight and help keep the shape of the bites.
- Work quickly! Once the tortillas cool, they become more difficult to bend.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes or until tortillas are golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 3 minutes. The tortillas will continue to get crispy as they sit.
- Remove from muffin tin and top each with salsa, lettuce, and cheese.
- I like to buy a pork shoulder, roast it overnight at 200F, shred it, and use it throughout the week. It works great for these tacos! I also tried chicken which was tasty and next I'm going to try beans.
- Making your own taco seasoning is not only easy and cheaper than buying store-bought, it also doesn't contain any preservatives. Here's one of my favorite recipes.
- This recipe makes 24 bites. I suggest 6 bites per person which is the equivalent of 2 full tacos.
- Total Servings: 24 bites | Total Cost: $2.00 | Cost per Serving: $.08
- Calories: 43 | Protein: 3 g | Fat: 1 g | Carbs: 4 g | Full Nutrition Facts
- Suggested Serving Size: 6 bites per person
Curious where I get my prices from?
All costs are based on my Budget Grocery Price List, my list of maximum prices I’ll pay for groceries.
Related Post: DIY Spicy Taco Seasoning