On Sundays, I like to make up a big batch of something to eat for lunches throughout the week. Soups are always a great option. They’re an even better choice when you can throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker and forget about it while you go about the rest of your day.
This Slow Cooker Chicken & Salsa Soup is a super forgiving recipe. Chicken thighs, chicken breast; it doesn’t matter! Hot salsa, mild salsa; you choose! Don’t have carrots? Try celery! It’s a really good base to play around with. It also freezes extremely well and makes for delicious leftovers.
If you’re looking for the perfect slow cooker to make this in, here is my favorite. It’s simple, inexpensive, and not too big (making it great for my tiny NYC apartment!).
- 1.5 lb chicken thighs, boneless/skinless (680 g): $4.49
- 4 cups chicken broth (907 g): FREE! (If using homemade. Here's my recipe.)
- 1 (16 oz) jar salsa (454 g): $1.69
- 2 large sweet potatoes (570 g): $1.24
- 6 medium carrots (365 g): $.52
- .5 large onion (75 g): $.12
- 3 cloves garlic (9 g): $.06
- 2 cups spinach (60 g): $.59
- 1 large avocado (200 g): $1.25
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut sweet potatoes, carrots, and onion into bite sized pieces.
- Chop garlic.
- Add cut veggies to slow cooker.
- Pour in chicken broth and salsa.
- Top with chicken thighs. This makes it easier to shred chicken later.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- Return to slow cooker.
- Chop spinach and add to soup.
- Cook for another 10 minutes or until spinach is slightly wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with sliced avocado.
- Chicken breast may be used, but I prefer chicken thighs because they stay moist.
- The salsa gives this soup all its flavor. I always opt for medium heat. Choose one with lots of oomph!
- Total Servings: 6 | Total Cost: $9.96 | Cost per Serving: $1.66
Get this FREE printable!
Finally tackle your grocery budget with this free Grocery List & Meal Plan printable! I'll even teach you how to use it.