Isn’t it ironic that my very first single lady grocery haul just happened to be on Valentine’s Day? Now for those of you who may be new to Crafty Coin, I’m not actually single. (In fact, you can read all about my $8K wedding here and here.) But for the next 5 weeks, my husband Ty is in Maine following his dreams. So that means that this week’s grocery haul, along with the next 4, are all going to be a bit different than usual.
While Ty is away, he’s also grocery shopping on his own. On Saturday afternoon I received a text with the caption “$43.22” and this picture:
Seriously, how cute is it that he sent me a picture of his grocery haul and the total cost?! I loved it. And I’ve got to say that he did pretty dang well for himself.
I headed out the next day to do my grocery shopping. Typically, I have a $70 grocery budget for the two of us. With Ty being gone, I wanted to challenge myself to cut that budget in half. Quite honestly, I didn’t think it would be possible. I mean, it’s not like there are single lady sized jars of peanut butter out there (and those packets and to-go containers are definitely more expensive), but after seeing Ty’s haul, I knew I could do it.
This Week’s Single Lady Grocery Haul Highlights
- Spinach, Fresh Express $2/5oz bag. Usually the smaller bags of spinach are way more costly than the big ones, but since they were on sale this week, they were the same price. Score! Especially since I knew I wouldn’t get through anything more than this before it went bad.
- Sweet Potatoes $.75/lb
- Onions, White $.75/lb
- Tomatoes, Plum $.95/lb
- Clementines $3.95/3lb bag or $1.32/lb
Total Spent: $33.55
Heck yeah! I totally was able to stick with the $35 budget. I will say though, that I had 1lb of ground beef and 1.5lbs of chicken breast in the freezer, which definitely helped keep costs low. Meat is typically one of the most expensive things to buy! Next week may be even harder.
Meal Planning Ideas
This week’s meals are pretty boring. I actually find that I like eating the same thing multiple times a week. It’s less stressful for me (especially if my perfectionism is getting the best of me). Ty’s the one who craves variety, so with him not here, I can be as bland as I please.
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Toast made with Sprouted Bread, Peanut Butter*, and Banana
- Spinach & Strawberry Banana Smoothie made with Spinach, Frozen Strawberries*, Banana, Greek Yogurt, and a splash of Milk*
- Overnight Oats made with ingredients from previous hauls – Oats, Milk*, Syrup*, and Blueberries*
- 3 oz Roasted Chicken Breast*, 1/2 cup Brown Rice*, 10 Baby Carrots, 1/4 Avocado, and 2 Clementines (I will seriously eat this every day this week)
- Salad! I’m trying to up my veggie game so I’m going to make everything a salad this week. Here are some combination ideas:
- Spring Mix, Chickpeas, Avocado, Onion, Almonds* and dressed with Strawberry Vinaigrette
- Spring Mix, Ground Beef*, DIY Taco Seasoning*, Red Pepper, Onion, Avocado, and dressed Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- Spinach, Chicken, Clementines, Almonds*, Red Pepper, and dressed with Clementine Vinaigrette
- Spring Mix, Ground Beef, Avocado, Tomato, Onion, Cheddar Cheese*, and dressed with Ketchup* and Mustard* (aka Cheeseburger Salad)
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!