Blueberries must be at their peak right now because this week I found 2 pounds for $2.99! Apparently my friend Megan from A Dash of Megnut scored a great deal too and whipped up these Blueberry Tortilla Pockets. As soon as I saw her recipe, I knew I needed to make it. It definitely didn’t disappoint! It was the perfect quick and easy way to use up a bunch of my berries. Next I may need to try making these Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups by Giselle of Diary of an ExSloth and if I still have some leftover, I’ll have to freeze them! Freezing is a great way to preserve food that you’ve stocked up on after finding a great sale. I do this often, especially with fruits and meats.
This Week’s Grocery Haul Highlights
- Boston Butt Pork Roast $1.69/lb @ Jewel-Osco. I love buying a pork roast and slow cooking it in the oven overnight with just a little salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar to keep it flavor-neutral so I can use it in recipes throughout the week.
- Pork Loin $1.77/lb @ Jewel-Osco. I’ll be honest, this was my first time buying a pork loin since I’ve seriously learned to cook. This is the method I followed to make it and it turned out so moist, juicy, and tender! I marinated it with a simple rub of balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, Herbes de Provence, and garlic powder.
- Whole Chicken $.99/lb @ Jewel-Osco. Yes, please! Here are my 3 Reasons You Should Learn to Love Whole Chicken.
- Eye of Round Steak $6.44/1.13lb @ Jewel-Osco. My maximum price for any type of steak is $5.99/lb, which isn’t always easy to find. This came to $5.70/lb. Score!
- Blueberries $2.99/2lbs @ Jewel-Osco. This was by far the best deal of the week. That’s only $1.50/lb. My maximum price for blueberries is $1.99/pint which is about 3/4 pound. Steal of a deal!
- Mangoes $.75 each @ Mariano’s. I’m finding I love some sliced mango and pork tacos. Yum!
- Portabella Mushrooms $1.95/lb @ Mariano’s. Regular price is $4.25/lb. When you think of the regular white button mushrooms, I typically pay $1.50/8oz of those, so $3/lb. Love this price for a nicer mushroom!
- Sweet Potatoes $.75/lb @ Mariano’s. Anything under $.99/lb makes me happy!
Total Spent: $44.04
With a grocery budget of $70 per week for two adults, this total was amazing! From last week’s haul, we had lots of leftovers, like eggs and yogurt, plus all of the meat prices were incredibly great deals, which kept this week’s total low.
Curious what I consider a good price for groceries? I’ve listed the maximum price I’ll pay for food on this page!
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!