As a budget grocery shopper, do you know what’s the worst? When you buy something that you think is a great deal only to go to a different store and find the same item for even cheaper! This totally happened to me this week. I was excited to see mangoes on sale for $.79 each at Jewel-Osco so I bought one, but later at Mariano’s I found them for just $.50 each!! That $.29 could have bought me a 1/2 pound of carrots!
In reality, that $.29 isn’t a huge deal. But shopping for the best deals is hard when Jewel-Osco has this big huge giant ad with all their weekly sales, while Mariano’s has a much smaller circular where they post just some of their sales. With Jewel, I know exactly what’s going to be a good deal. With Mariano’s, I have to keep my eyes peeled to make sure I don’t miss a great discount. And when I’m trying to decide which store I should buy strawberries at and where to get my asparagus from, sometimes it’s a toss up. I’ll buy at one and hope I’m getting the best deal (which clearly isn’t always the case). Luckily, I know the regular prices of each of my two favorite grocery stores well, so even if apples are on sale for $1.19/lb at Jewel, I know they are always $.99/lb at Mariano’s. This helps me not go too crazy when deciding where to buy groceries!
This Week’s Grocery Haul Highlights:
- Green Seedless Grapes $1.25/lb @ Mariano’s. I’ve seen red seedless grapes for as low as $.99/lb this summer, but this is the best price I’ve found on the green variety.
- Broccoli and Cauliflower $.95/lb @ Mariano’s. The sale continues from last week!
- Red Onions $.75/lb @ Mariano’s. Usually they cost $.89/lb.
- Sweet Potatoes $.65/lb @ Mariano’s. This is how much they usually cost in winter when they are in season. Yes!
- Green Cactus Pear $.50 each @ Jewel-Osco. I actually have no clue what this fruit is, but thought I’d try it since it was on sale! Shopping around the sales exposes me to new foods. I love it!
Total Spent: $62.74
This was almost $8 under my $70 weekly grocery budget for two! To find out more about how I set our budget, read this post.
Curious what I consider a good price for groceries? I’ve listed the maximum price I’ll pay for food on this page!
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!