We finally have some beautiful weather here in Chicago! On Saturday my husband Ty and I spent the afternoon at the beach on Lake Michigan across from our apartment soaking up some Vitamin D. Before heading out, I stopped over to Mariano’s and picked up some items for a picnic lunch. Here’s what I bought:
Total cost: $19.75. That’s nearly 1/3 of our weekly grocery budget!! However, I knew that some of this would be eaten throughout the week, and I also reminded myself that this was still much cheaper than going out to a restaurant.
What We Splurged On:
- Ak-Mak Crackers $2.89/4.1oz box. It was our first time trying these. I love that the ingredient list is simple, made only with items I recognize. Definitely going to pick these up again on occasion.
- Applegate Natural Uncured Salami $4.19/4oz. This is super expensive, especially considering we ate this all in one sitting, but still worth it with its nitrate-free, natural ingredients.
- Mahon Curado Hard Cheese $3.33/3.5oz. This was the hardest one for me to buy. I usually won’t spend more than $4.99/lb on fresh cheeses, but at $14.99/lb, this was the cheapest I could find at Mariano’s.
- Nestle Dark Chocolate Chips $2.85/10oz bag. I knew we’d want a sweet treat at the end of our picnic, so I picked these up and made a homemade trail mix to bring along.
- The produce was all within my usual budget, and the raspberries were even on special this week for just $.99/6oz!
On Sunday I roped Ty into helping me grocery shop (it wasn’t hard) and we made our way back to Mariano’s as well as Jewel-Osco. At Mariano’s we spent $27.37 and at Jewel $27.10. Total Spent: $54.47
This Week’s Grocery Haul Highlights:
- Raspberries $.99/6oz @ Mariano’s. I picked up two more packs of these at such a great price!
- Portabello Mushrooms $2.25/lb @ Mariano’s. Usually these are $4.50/lb. Definitely making stuffed mushrooms this week!
- Red Seedless Grapes $1.50/lb @ Mariano’s. Love when grapes go on sale!
- Beets $.50/lb @ Mariano’s. The sale continues! I’ll be so sad the day Mariano’s increases the price on my favorite vegetable.
- Asparagus $1.95/lb @ Mariano’s. I had to get two bunches! Asparagus is such a quick dish to cook up; I love having extra on hand!
- Spinach $.97/8oz bag @ Jewel. Steal of a deal!
- Cantaloupe $.99ea @ Jewel. So excited to have my first cantaloupe of the season!
- Whole Chicken $.99/lb @ Jewel. Read my 3 Reasons You Should Learn to Love Whole Chicken.
- Ground Beef $2.49/lb @ Jewel. Buying the chub totally cuts costs. If you’re worried about the high fat content, blot patties with a paper towel or rinse crumbles under water after cooking. Just as good as that 97% lean stuff.
- Open Nature Greek Yogurt FREE @ Jewel. Jewel had a special on their MyMixx digital coupon program this week for one free yogurt.
- O Organics Ketchup $1/20oz bottle @ Jewel. It was on special for $2, then I used a $1 off coupon I received in the mail.
- Open Nature Salami $3.00/8oz @ Jewel. This was on sale for $4 and I used another $1 off coupon from the mail. I wish I would have found this before to bring to the beach!
Phew! There were a lot of great deals this week. So excited that summer is almost here because I love all of the fruits and vegetables that are coming in season. I’m ready for it!
Between my picnic and grocery haul, I spent a total of $74.22 on groceries this week. This is slightly over my $70 weekly budget, so I’ll have to be conscious next week when shopping. Getting to enjoy the sun, my husband, and good food at the beach totally made that $4.22 in the red worth it!
For all the details from this week’s haul, click each receipt:
How much do you spend on groceries each week?
D. $200 or more
E. I have no clue!!
Curious what I consider a good price for groceries? I’ve listed the maximum price I’ll pay for food on this page!
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!