I don’t know about chez toi, but chez moi, chips have no chance of lasting more than one day. Now, I actually don’t have much of a problem with plain old tortilla or potato chips, since they are made with just three ingredients, but having them in my house is a problem; the whole bag will get demolished. However, I’ve discovered a little secret for preventing this: Homemade Oven Baked Tortilla Chips.
My theory with most junk food is that if you have to take the time to make it yourself, then you should be able to indulge guilt-free. These tortilla chips are ready to eat in 12 minutes flat, so if I really want them, I’ll put effort into making them. I can also make them in small batches, so I’m not tempted to reach into that bag just one more time.
The other thing I love about these is that they are a great way to use up those dried out corn tortillas you were about to throw away (although they work great with fresh tortillas, too). These are both delicious and economical!
- 2 corn tortillas: $.07
- 4 sprays of olive oil: $ basically nada
- 1 dash of salt: $ practically zilch
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spray tortillas with olive oil on both sides.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Stack tortillas.
- Cut into 8 triangles using a pizza cutter.
- Disperse triangles around a pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Enjoy with your favorite salsa, guacamole, or added to a taco salad for some crunch!
- Be sure to check the ingredients of your corn tortillas! They should only have three ingredients: corn, oil, and salt. I buy the brand El Milagro for $.39/12 pack.
- I love my Misto Oil Sprayer! It works great for just spritzing a bit of oil on these to make the salt stick.
- Total Servings: 1 | Total Cost: $.07 | Cost per Serving: $.07
Curious where I get my prices from? Even though I may have found an ingredient cheaper, to keep things simple, I’ve calculated all costs based on my Budget Grocery Price List, my list of maximum prices I’ll pay for any groceries.
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!