Navigating the world of ingredient label reading can be tricky and time consuming when switching to a real food diet. To help make it easier for you, I’ve created a list of all of my favorite Paleo items that come packaged. For me, this means looking for short label lists with only natural, recognizable ingredients. I also rarely buy anything with added sugars, even if it’s a natural sweetener like honey. You can zoom in on the package labels by clicking each picture. Also be sure to check out my complete label reading made easy list here!
*All items have been purchased in Chicago. Prices may vary where you live. For my complete budget grocery price list, click here.
MEAT & DELI
- Applegate Organic Grass Fed Beef Hot Dogs
- $4.99/12oz package @ Trader Joe’s (7 hot dogs per package)
- Ingredients: Organic Grass Fed Beef, Water, Sea Salt, Organic Spices, Organic Dehydrated Garlic, Organic Dehydrated Onion, Organic Paprika, Celery Powder
- Trader Joe’s Smoked, Apple Chardonnay Chicken Sausage
- $3.99/120z @ Trader Joe’s (4 links per package)
- Ingredients: Chicken, Dehydrated Apples, Salt, Roasted Onion, Celery Juice Powder, White Pepper, Nutmeg, Thyme, Ginger, Chardonnay, Rosemary, in a natural Pork Casing.
- Tip: There are many brands that carry chicken sausage that’s Paleo and many that are even Whole30 approved. Trader Joe’s and Mariano’s have some great budget-friendly options.
- Trader Joe’s Organic Chicken Drumsticks
- $1.99/lb @ Trader Joe’s (usually 6 drumsticks per package)
- Ingredients: Organic Drumsticks!
- Tip: This is incredibly cheap and since it’s organic, I feel okay eating the skin and using the bones for broth.
- Earthbound Farm Organic Mini Peeled Carrots
- $1.00/1lb bag @ Mariano’s
- Ingredients: Organic Carrots!
- Tip: Mariano’s organic baby carrots are cheaper than their conventional ones.
- Trader Joe’s Organic Spinach
- $1.99/6oz @ Trader Joe’s
- Ingredients: Organic Spinach!
- Tip: TJ’s organic spinach is the same price as the conventional spinach.
- Trader Joe’s Avocados
- $3.49/4ct bag @ Trader Joe’s ($.87ea)
- Ingredients: Avocado!
DAIRY & REFRIGERATED
- Trader Joe’s Avocado’s Number Guacamole
- $3.99/16oz @ Trader Joe’s
- Ingredients: Hass Avocados, Jalapeno Puree (White Vinegar, Jalapeno Peppers, Salt), Dehydrated Onion, Salt, Granulated Garlic
- Kerrygold Grass Fed Butter*
- $3.19/8oz @ Trader Joe’s; $6.99/3-8oz packages @ Costco ($2.33/8oz)
- Ingredients: Pasteurized Cream, Salt
- Tip: This is the cheapest I’ve found Kerrygold butter. I often choose ghee over butter, but Kerrygold is a brand I trust! You can make your own ghee from this, but since we tolerate dairy well, we eat it as is.
- Trader Joe’s New Zealand Grass Fed Sharp Cheddar Cheese*
- $5.49/lb @ Trader Joe’s
- Ingredients: Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Microbial Rennet
- Tip: Did you know that all cheese is naturally white or slightly yellow? Check out why cheese is dyed orange today here at The Kitchn.
*Grass fed dairy is a debated food within the Paleo community. People that include dairy in their diet are often referred to as Primal. Do your research before deciding if dairy is right for you. Here’s an interesting article from Robb Wolf titled “Seven Shades of Paleo“. What shade are you?
- StarKist Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- $1.49/4.5oz can @ Mariano’s
- Ingredients: Light Meat Tuna, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Water, Salt
- Tip: I’m not a huge fan of tuna, but my husband loves it for a quick lunch. He grabs a can, mixes it with homemade mayo, and voila! – tuna salad.
- Felippo Berio Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil
- $6.27/25.3oz bottle @ Mariano’s
- Ingredients: Olive Oil!
- Tip: This is the oil you should be using for your homemade mayo!
- Trader Joe’s Manzanilla Olives
- $2.29/10oz jar @ Trader Joe’s
- Ingredients: Manzanilla Olives, Water, Minced Pimento Pasta (Pimento Sodium Alginate, Guar Gum and Calcium Chloride), Sea Salt and Lactic Acid
- Roundy’s Organic Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- $2.99/26oz jar @ Mariano’s
- Ingredients: Water, Organic Diced Tomatoes (Citric Acid, Calcium Chloride), Organic Tomato Paste, Sea Salt, Organic Basil, Organic Dehydrated Onions, Organic Garlic Powder, Organic Black Pepper
- Roundy’s Salsa
- $1.69/16oz jar @ Mariano’s
- Ingredients: Tomatoes, Water, Onion, Jalapeno Peppers, Vinegar, Green Bell Peppers, Salt, Dehydrated Onion, Dehydrated Garlic
- Tip: Roundy’s is Mariano’s store brand. This is their version of Pace salsa. Most store bought salsas are inexpensive with clean ingredients. Just look out for sneaky sugars!
- Trader Joe’s Raw Cashew Pieces
- $4.99/16oz bag @ Trader Joe’s
- Ingredients: Cashews
- Tip: Make your own cashew flour by simply grinding cashews in a food processor. It’s about a 1:1 ratio. 1 cup cashew pieces = 1 cup cashew flour.
- Trader Joe’s Just Cashew Meal
- $4.99/16oz bag @ Trader Joe’s
- Ingredients: Cashews
- Tip: I typically buy the cashew pieces because they can be used for multiple purposes, but if you want a shortcut, Trader Joe’s cashew meal is the same price/unit as buying the cashew pieces.
- Roundy’s Organic Grade A Dark Amber Maple Syrup
- $4.69/8oz jar @ Mariano’s
- Ingredients: Organic Maple Syrup
- Musselman’s Unsweetened Applesauce
- $1.50/24oz; 6 – 4oz cups @ Mariano’s
- Ingredients: Apples, Water, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
- Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Honey Mints
- $3.99/7oz bag @ Trader Joe’s
- Ingredients: Honey, Chocolate Liquor, Oil of Peppermint
- Canada Dry Lemon Lime Seltzer Water
- $2.99/12oz pack @ Mariano’s
- Ingredients: Carbonated Water, Natural Flavors
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!