That thing that you dread happening happened to me. A few weeks ago when it started to get hot outside, I pulled out my tote of summer clothes that had been stored away for nearly a year, excited to get some new things into my wardrobe mix, and as I slipped on those cute blue flowered shorts from last June, the excitement dissipated.
UGH! NOTHING FIT.
I chalk this up to a few things. Last spring I was super on top of my healthy living game. Buying fresh produce weekly and batch cooking plus getting outside and exercising. I was in my prime. Then we spent the summer volunteering in Africa, where I unintentionally lost a few extra pounds.
Following that, we came back to the States in September, moved to New York City from Chicago, and now nearly 10 months later, I’m still trying to find a routine which means chaotic eating and continually asking myself “Why can’t I get myself inside that Planet Fitness that’s literally across the street?!”
All this to say, that rather than wallow in self-pity (okay, maybe there was a bit of that), when I realized my summer clothes just didn’t fit and that they probably wouldn’t by the time they’d need to be stored away again, I decided two things.
- It’s time to get my life back in order.
- It’s time to go shopping.
But instead of going to the mall (JK, what mall?! I live in NYC now.), I grabbed my computer and hopped on over to my favorite online consignment store, thredUP.
Why I Love Shopping Secondhand with thredUP
I’ve shared about thredUP many times before because I absolutely love what they are doing! But as a reminder, here are a few of the reasons I keep coming back to them.
- Quality brands for less. This is my number one reason for shopping secondhand. I’m a girl who loves leather, but hates the price tag. Buying used means I get high quality pieces at an affordable price!
- Unique pieces. You never know what you’re going to find when you buy used. It’s like a treasure hunt!
- Less waste. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Better for the earth! You get it.
- Door delivery. I mean, need I say more? So much easier than shoving your way through crowds of people and standing in long lines.
- Easy returns. If something doesn’t fit, you just printed out the pre-paid label from their website, mail back the item(s), and get store credit to shop again!
- Coupons! thredUp is really great about giving extra discounts for both new and returning customers. In fact, thredUP is offering Crafty Coin readers a special discount! The first 100 people to use my code COIN40 will get an extra 40% off their first order! (Applies to new US customers only. Discount up to $50). Check it out here.
thredUP is also great because it’s easy to search their site for specific brands you already know you love or you can shop by certain price points. I had a $200 budget, so started in their sale section to see if I could find any amazing bargains.
And I did! Up first, this 100% silk Calypso St. Barth dress.
Outfit 1, $54
- Dress: Calypso St. Barth
- Retails at $428, Bought for $23.40
- Shoes: Splendid
- Retails at $138, Bought for $30.60
Total Savings: 90% ($566 vs $54.00)
Outfit 2, $100
- Dress: Sachin and Babi (New With Tags from Anthropologie!)
- Retails at $188, Bought for $41.40
- Shoes: Kate Spade
- Retails at $328, Bought for $58.41
Total Savings: 81% ($516 vs $99.81)
Outfit 3, $30
- Top: Rachel Antonoff
- Retails at $45, Bought for $11.70
- Jeans: Old Navy
- Retails at $35, Bought for $9.90
- Shoes: Forever21
- Retails at $27, Bought for $9.00
Total Savings: 71% ($107 vs $30.60)
To keep this outfit going into fall, I also ordered a cardigan to go with it.
- Sweater: Ann Taylor
- Retails at $68, Bought for $9.00
Total Savings: 87% ($68 vs $9.00)
For the all of the items pictured, I paid $193.41 in total. The retail value for them was $1,257.
That’s a savings of nearly 85%!
I now have some items to get me through summer and even into fall and even
if when I can fit comfortably into my other clothes again, I’m happy to know that I can resell these items on thredUP for some cash. What a win!
And remember, if you’d like to try thredUP for yourself, get 40% off your first order with the code COIN40.
Thanks to thredUP for sponsoring this post! Even if it wasn’t sponsored, I’d still share my love for them because I truly enjoy shopping their items!