Many people have an aversion to buying used clothing. I get it. You don’t know whose booty has been in those jeans before. But after working for 4 years in a consignment store, I can tell you there’s no reason to be afraid of buying secondhand! In fact, there are actually benefits to buying your clothes used.
Benefits to Shopping Secondhand
- You know how the clothes will wash. Don’t you hate when you buy a new shirt and after the first wash it shrinks up and you can never wear it again?! Buying secondhand eliminates this problem.
- You can find unique pieces. Buying used is like a treasure hunt. There’s typically only one of everything so if you like it, you better snatch it up! The good news is that that means you aren’t going to be wearing the exact same things as everyone else!
- You can get better quality for less money. This is obviously my favorite part. I never buy anything full price, including my clothes. I love that consignment stores sell great brands at amazingly good prices.
Recently, I purged my apartment and got rid of everything that didn’t bring me joy, which included all but one pair of jeans. (Why was I hanging onto jeans that I constantly had to pull up?!). My mission it to live frugally without sacrificing quality, but this wasn’t translating to my wardrobe. Most of the things I own are cheap. So I decided right then and there that I needed to start investing in better quality clothes… But I still didn’t want to pay the hefty price tags.
That’s where thredUP comes into play. They’re an online consignment store that sells gently used clothing, shoes, handbags, and accessories. And when I say gently used, I mean practically brand new because when my adorable polka dot boxed showed up at my door, the items I found inside showed barely any signs of wear.
- 7 For All Mankind Skinny Cropped Denim $189 // Paid: $23.62
- Aqua Rhinestone Layered Back Sweater $190 // Paid: $25.26
- Ya Long Sleeveless Tunic $45 // Paid: $9.51
- DV by Dolce Vita Ankle Strap Color Block Sandals $71 // Paid: $11.81
Total Spent: $70.20
Retail Value: $495
Total Savings: 86%!
Like seriously, 7 For All Mankind jeans for $23? Yes, please!
I’ll be honest – I was nervous buying jeans online, especially designer ones since they tend to run small. But I am so glad I took the risk! This pair fits amazingly. I am so so excited about them!
But luckily even if they hadn’t been quite so perfect, thredUP has a great return policy! If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. You can exchange your purchases for free (including shipping!).
Want to try out thredUP? This link gives you $10!
That’ll get you a shirt for FREE.
Thanks to thredUP for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own and I was seriously ecstatic to get these designer pieces for such great prices!
P.S. Double thanks to A Dash of Megnut for taking these photos. We had a blast! Those last pictures may or may not have been posed…