Smoothies and I are in a long term relationship. My mom first started making them for me when I was in high school. Then when I ventured off on my own in college, I requested a Magic Bullet for my 20th birthday in order to continue making my favorite breakfast. (Fact: I got two Magic Bullets that year – one from Ty and one from my mom. I probably should have thought my gift list through better.) And when Ty and I moved to Chicago, you better believe my trusty little blender made its way with us.
Throughout all these smoothie years, I’ve essentially followed the same basic smoothie formula in this order:
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt + 1 small banana + 4 frozen strawberries + 1 handful spinach + 1/2 cup liquid
For the liquid, I go with whatever I’m feeling – sometimes water, sometimes milk. You could even choose almond or coconut milk. Since I use unflavored yogurt, I use the smallest banana I have to add sweetness. Sometimes I toss in oats for bulk or peanut butter for protein. I go with frozen strawberries to chill it. And when I have extra fresh berries on hand, like the blackberries I scored for $.89, I throw those in there too. The spinach adds a few extra nutrients without many calories or flavor. I love that smoothies are really versatile and are pretty hard to mess up.
There is one thing I have learned over time though – the order that I layer my ingredients really matters. If you’re using a Magic Bullet, the blade goes on top of the cup, making it closest to the last ingredient you added. So I always make sure my spinach is put on top so that it blends up nicely.
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (113 g) $.45
- 1 small banana (80 g) $.07
- 4 frozen strawberries (70 g) $.35
- 10 blackberries (50 g) $.25
- 1 cup spinach (30 g) $.32
- 1/2 cup milk (122 g) $.22
- Add ingredients to blender in order listed.
- Blend until smooth.
- Enjoy (preferably with a straw)!
- Total Servings: 1 | Total Cost: $1.66 | Cost per Serving: $1.66
- Curious where my prices come from? Check out my Budget Grocery Price List.
- Calories: 308 | Protein: 17 g | Fat: 10 g | Carbs: 39 g | Full Nutrition Facts
What’s your favorite way to make a smoothie?