Making your own snacks from scratch can save you loads of money in the long run, but also require time to make. I think this is the main reason people reach for the convenience foods. Luckily, homemade trail mix is a breeze to make and takes no time at all! Most days after work, I like to enjoy this simple mixture as a treat to tide me over as I make dinner. I take equal parts cashews, almonds, and chocolate chips, combine, and enjoy! There are so many additions to try. Ty likes mixing in raisins! Any combination of nuts, dried fruit, and chocolate will do. Just be sure to check for added sugars in the dried fruit. The chocolate already has enough!
All the items I use to make my trail mix come from Trader Joe’s – they have the best prices on nuts! They also sell lots of options for pre-made mixes, including one called Just a Handful of Simply Almonds, Cashews & Chocolate Trek Mix, which has the exact same ingredients as my mix. But is it the best deal? Let’s do a price comparison.
Trader Joe’s Trek Mix
- $5.49/15oz bag. 10 servings/bag. Cost per 1.5oz: $.55
- Total cost for 1.5oz serving of Trader Joe’s Trek Mix: $.55
Homemade Trail Mix
- $6.49/16oz bag of almonds. 32 servings/bag. Cost per .5oz: $.20
- $4.99/16oz bag of cashews. 32 servings/bag. Cost per .5oz: $.16
- $2.29/12oz bag of chocolate chips. 24 servings/bag. Cost per .5oz: $.10
- Total cost for 1.5oz serving of Homemade Trail Mix: $.46
Total savings for 10 servings: $.89
The savings may not be huge, but by making your own trail mix, you can use the ingredients for other uses, making it more efficient and budget-friendly! Also, I like to only make one serving at a time. I find that having to combine my trail mix whenever a craving hits keeps me from mindlessly grabbing out of convenience. If I really want to eat it, I’ll make the effort to make it.
Cheap Homemade Trail Mix
- 2 TBS Almonds, Trader Joe’s Dry Roasted & Lightly Salted (14g): $.20
- 2 TBS Cashews, Trader Joe’s Pieces 60% Less Salt Roasted & Salted (14g): $.16
- 1 TBS Chocolate Chips, Trader Joe’s Semi-Sweet (14g): $.10
- Combine and eat!
Total Servings: 1 | Total Cost: $.46 | Cost per Serving: $.46
Calories: 230 | Protein: 7g | Fat: 19g | Carbs: 17g | Full Nutrition Facts
*Note: I use a kitchen scale like this to weigh my ingredients in the kitchen. It helps with accuracy, but more importantly for me, gives me less dishes to clean! I can just put everything in the same bowl and weigh it instead of dirtying a measuring spoon or cup for each ingredient. For $20 or less, I think it’s a worthwhile kitchen investment!
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!