Do you all know why I post so much about groceries? It’s because it’s the one necessity that has a variable cost. Rent? Transit pass? Phone bill? Those are all fixed expenses. Sure, Ty and I moved to a cheaper apartment after our first year living in Chicago to save a little money. But on a weekly basis, food is the only thing we need that we can control the cost of.
When we first started budgeting, we realized we were spending over $1,000 dollars a month on groceries and eating out (and we thought we were frugal then!). We now have a budget of $300 per month for groceries (or $10 per day) and $100 per month for restaurants. That means we cut our food expenses in half! After more than two years of living this way, grocery shopping and meal prepping on Sundays has become our norm, and eating out has become a rarity, which also makes it special (and I like that!).
So if you’re looking for places to cut your spending and to save a little moola, I highly recommend taking a close look at how much you’re spending every month on food. The numbers might surprise you!
THIS WEEK’S GROCERY HAUL HIGHLIGHTS
- Baby Spring Mix & Baby Spinach, Organic $3.75/10oz container or $6/lb. The organic store brand is cheaper than the conventional options!
- Kale $.95/lb
- Broccoli Stir Fry Vegetables, Frozen $1.25/16oz bag. I’ve been loving these lately for a quick and cheap dinner!
- Clementines $3.95/3lb bag or $1.32/lb
- Cottage Cheese, Daisy $1.75/16oz container. This was a super steal this week so I picked up two since they last so long! I also love the clean ingredients in Daisy Cottage Cheese.
TOTAL SPENT: $67.60
MEAL PLANNING IDEAS
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes made with White Whole Wheat Flour, Eggs, Bananas… and the other usual ingredients
- Overnight Oats made with Oats, Maple Syrup*, Milk*, and topped with Blueberries
- Green Smoothie made with Greek Yogurt, Banana, Spinach, Frozen Strawberries*, and Milk*
- Quick Stir Fry made with Frozen Broccoli Stir Fry Vegetables, Chicken Breast*, Brown Rice*, Soy Sauce, and Lemon
- Kale Pasta Salad made with Whole Wheat Pasta, Kale, Parmesan*, Garlic*, and Olive Oil*
- Salad made with Spring Mix, Chicken Breast*, Blueberries, Almonds*, and dressed with a squirt of Lemon and a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- Asian Beef Lettuce Wraps made with Ground Beef, Iceberg Lettuce, Onion*, Garlic*, Soy Sauce, and topped with shredded Carrots*
- Bunless Burgers made with Ground Beef and Iceberg Lettuce (as buns), topped with Mushrooms*, Tomato*, and Onion*, and served with Potato Wedges (because I recently bought 8 pounds of potatoes)
- Magical Chicken Legs with Kale Chips
*Indicates item from a previous grocery haul.
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!