Last week we had snow, then rain, then more snow, then it was just freezing cold. I shouldn’t be complaining since we had such a mild Chicago winter, but boy am I ready for spring. The only sign of the new season I’ve seen is the produce section changing at the grocery store! The price of berries is dropping, spinach has been on sale lately, and asparagus is almost cheap enough for me to buy it. Even if the weather isn’t indicating spring, I’m glad I can find it someplace!
Maybe it’s because I’m still coming down from my high from last week’s crazy grocery deals, but I honestly wasn’t too impressed with many of the sales this week. In general, grocery prices have been pretty steady lately which I’d much prefer to them rising.
The biggest change I’ve seen is that the cost of eggs has gotten cheaper! Remember that avian flu epidemic that caused eggs to be over $2/dozen? They must have figured that out because I’m finding them for $1.49 regularly priced now! Here are a few other things that were good prices this week.
Budget Grocery Haul Highlights
- Spinach $.75/bunch
- Spring Mix, organic $5/lb
- Bananas $.39/lb
- Corn Tortillas $.39/12 pack
- Ketchup, natural $2.50/32oz bottle
- Eggs $1.49/dozen
Total Spent: $54.48
Meal Plan Ideas
- Berry Spinach Smoothie made with Spinach, Banana, Almond Milk, and Frozen Berries*
- Foolproof Hard Boiled Eggs
- Cheeseburger Salad made with Mixed Green, Ground Beef, Tomato, Onion, Avocado, and topped with Pickles, Ketchup, and Mustard*
- Taco Salad made with Mixed Greens, Ground Beef, Tomato, Red Pepper, Onion, Avocado, Spicy Taco Seasoning* and topped with Oven Baked Tortilla Chips
- Slow Cooker Salsa and Chicken Soup made with Chicken Thighs, Chicken Broth*, Spinach, Onion, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes*, and Salsa*
- Simple Slow Cooker Chili made with Ground Beef, Canned Tomatoes, Carrots, Spinach, Onion, Black Beans*, and Tomato Paste*
- Homemade Microwave Popcorn
- Rice Cakes with Avocado
- Apple or Banana with Peanut Butter*
P.S. Here’s why I quit meal planning.
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!