Ty and I are super excited because we are headed to North Dakota for 8 days next month! Now for those of you who are wondering, “Who the heck goes to North Dakota for vacation?”, let me tell you, it’s where we were born and raised. Both of our families live there, which makes going home so much easier. No having to decide whose family we are going to visit when each of ours are in the same place!
Since returning from Maine last Tuesday, Ty decided his body could use a reset, so we are taking these next few weeks before our trip to eat extra clean. No sugar. No alcohol. No dairy. Ty is realizing more and more that he’s sensitive to dairy, so we are cutting it out during this time to see how he feels. And I’m doing the same, because why not. This means no Smoky Adult Mac and Cheese and no homemade Almond & Sea Salt Dark Chocolates! But I have no doubt we can do it!
And in other news, we are dog/house sitting this week which means we can eat the food at the owners’ home. Getting paid to sleep somewhere else, let out a dog, and eat someone else’s food? Yes, please! So next week there won’t be a grocery haul.
This Week’s Budget Grocery Haul Highlights
- Spring Mix, organic $3.75/10oz container. This is cheaper than the conventional greens!
- Black Beans, organic $1.00/15oz can. I love that these only contain beans, water, and salt. We’ve bought dried beans in the past to save some money, but sometimes the convenience of the canned ones are nice to have around.
- Almond Milk, unsweetened $2.75/half gallon. Almond milk honestly isn’t a very clean product, but this one at least doesn’t have any sugar added or carrageenan. Since we are cutting out dairy, we bought this to make our Overnight Oats with.
- Rice Cakes, lightly salted $2.49/14 pack. Ty recently got on a rice cakes kick and it’s awesome! The plain ones are made with just brown rice and salt. Nice! I was surprised, however, that Mariano’s didn’t have a store brand of these.
Total Spent: $62.80
Buuuuuuut, when I got home I realized we already have a huge container of cumin in the cupboard, so the next time I go to Mariano’s, I’m returning this jar we bought for $2.99. Yes, I am that person!
Meal Plan Ideas
- Overnight Oats made with Oats*, Banana, Almond Milk, and Cinnamon
- Hardboiled Eggs
- Toast with Peanut Butter* and Bananas
- Taco Salad made with Chicken Breast, Spring Mix, Avocado, Onion*, Salsa, and Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Cheeseburger Salad made with Chicken Breast, Spring Mix, Avocado, Onion* and topped with Ketchup and Mustard
- Chicken Stir Fry made with Chicken Breast, Frozen Vegetables, Brown Rice*, and Soy Sauce*
- Asian Chicken Soup made with Chicken Breast, Frozen Vegetables, Brown Rice*, Chicken Broth, and Soy Sauce
- Spaghetti made with Penne, Tomato Sauce, Chicken Sausage, Onion*, and Spinach*
- Homemade Microwave Popcorn topped with Sea Salt*, Garlic Powder*, and Dill* (So good!)
- Rice Cakes topped with Peanut Butter* or Avocado
*Indicates item from previous grocery haul
What’s been on your meal rotation lately?
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!