Coconut oil is all the rage these days and I’m totally on board. It’s a healthy fat with medicinal properties and a very high smoke point, meaning it can withstand high cooking temperatures before turning bad. Not only is it good for eating, it’s great for so many other daily uses!
9 Ways to Use Coconut Oil
- For making homemade chocolates! Check out my Instagram post for the full recipe.
- For roasting chicken! These Magical Chicken Legs saved Ty and I during our Whole30. And really don’t limit yourself to chicken. Coconut oil can be used for roasting and frying anything!
- Added to my tea or coffee! It’s an easy way to get in an extra serving of healthy fat.
- For removing sticky residue! Hate when you remove the label from a jar, but there’s still some stickiness left? Use a cotton ball and coconut oil to get it nice and clean!
- As a sugar scrub! Since switching to a real food diet, I didn’t have much use for our refined sugars anymore. But instead of throwing them out, I mixed 1/2 cup of brown or white sugar with a 1/4 cup of coconut oil and stuck it in my shower for the perfect scrub.
- As an eye makeup remover! This seriously works so well. I simply put a tiny little bit of coconut oil on a cotton pad, and my day’s makeup comes right off.
- As a moisturizer! I love using coconut oil as my daily moisturizer. It works as my face and body lotion and is great for my dry lips! Just don’t use too much or you’ll feel like an oily mess.
- As a hair mask! I take a quarter size of oil and run it through my hair. If it’s not fully coated, I use a little more. Then I wrap my hair in a towel and let sit for an hour or even overnight, then simply wash it out. Try it! Your silky hair will thank you.
- For treating ingrown toenails! Okay, so this one I’m not 100% sure of. I’ve only had one ingrown toenail, and I put coconut oil on it every night and I definitely thought it helped. But since I’ve only had one experience, I can’t fully vouch for it. Regardless if the coconut oil really worked or not, it definitely kept my feet soft!
Coconut Oil Tips
- Trader Joe’s coconut oil is my pricing standard. You can get a 16 oz jar for $5.99 there, which is $.37/oz. I never pay more than that.
- Coconut oil is a bit moody. It’s a liquid above 75° F and solid below that. For me, I store mine in my pantry and it’s typically semi-solid. However, I’ve noticed there’s a variance in its firmness when there are changes in my apartment temperature. No worries! It works no matter how liquid or solid.
- Use a small container to store your “beauty” coconut oil. I use salad dressing containers found at TJ Maxx. They are the perfect size!
So How Does Coconut Oil Save You Money?
Simple. How many ways can you use your store-bought eye makeup remover? One. With coconut oil, you get more bang for your buck! And at less than $6 a jar, there’s no beating the price. I bet that fancy coconut scrub you bought from The Body Shop cost a heck of a lot more than that. (I checked. It’s $20.)
So save yourself some money, live a little more naturally, and pick up some coconut oil the next time you’re out and about.
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!