Since switching to a real food diet, I’ve noticed many improvements in my health. For a long time I denied that these changes were related to my new unprocessed lifestyle. But I can’t ignore it any longer! On the days when I do indulge in that pizza or have one too many margaritas, I definitely feel like my old, sluggish self. I don’t beat myself up over these food and drink decisions, but rather take them as a reminder of why I choose to eat clean most of the time.
Here are a handful of the health benefits I’ve experienced since switching to a real food diet. Warning: It gets a little personal!
7 Health Benefits of Eating Unprocessed Food
- Less moody. It’s true. My mood has stabilized since cutting out processed foods. I don’t spontaneously cry (as often) as I once did. My highs aren’t as high and my lows aren’t so low. Basically, I feel more emotionally balanced.
- More energy. I used to be that girl; you know, the one who would fall asleep during any movie, even in the theater. Not saying I don’t ever doze off during a film, but I definitely don’t struggle to keep my eyes open. In general, I wake up more energized and am no longer counting the hours until I get to crawl back into bed again.
- Less brain fog. Okay, so maybe I’m still forgetful, but in general, I feel like the cloud that surrounded me has been lifted. I can more quickly remember details and am better able to focus on my task at hand.
- Stronger nails and hair. I used to bite my nails. Not even because I liked it, but because they were so brittle and would start to break so I would just finish them off. Now, my nails are long and strong, and my hair has a much healthier shine to it, too!
- Less bloat. You’ve just had dinner and you settle in to watch a movie with your loved one. As you snuggle in, the bloat hits you and you have to squeeze it in. That really ruins the romance, doesn’t it? Eating lighter, more nutrient dense foods have helped me make this scenario a thing of the past.
- More… ahem… regular. Perhaps this is a bit too personal, but it’s definitely something many people struggle with. Since switching to whole foods, going to the bathroom isn’t such a “strain”. Goodbye constipation, hello healthy schedule.
- Improved menstruation. Along the same lines as #5, eating better has also caused my period to be more predictable. I’ve never had serious problems in this area, but it is nice to know exactly what to expect each month.
What benefits have you experienced since cutting out processed food?
For more Real Food Reading, check out these posts:
- My Diet Defined
- How We Eat Clean + Whole30
- How Many Pounds of Fresh Produce, Meat, and Eggs Do I Eat Per Day?
- A Week of Real Simple, Real Food Dinners
- How to Avoid Having “Nothing to Eat”
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!