Any essential oils fans out there? The first time I ever came across them was when my sister-in-law gave me some lavender essential oil as a gift that she’d bought at Pike Place Market in Seattle. I’ll be honest, I had no clue what to do with it. I mean, it smelled nice, but that’s pretty much all I knew.
Then at a recent blogger event, I was given some tea tree oil. Now that one did not smell nice and I still didn’t know what to do with it. So when Spark Naturals sent me some peppermint essential oil, I decided it was time to figure out how to use this stuff!
5 Uses for Peppermint Essential Oil
- Headache Reliever. Every site I read seemed to mention that peppermint oil is great for relieving a headache. So lucky for you all, I had one earlier this week and was able to give this use a try! I rubbed two drops on my temples and even a little on the back of my neck for good measure.
Did it work? Yes! If anything, the smell relaxed me, which is probably what was supposed to happen.
- Energizer. Apparently peppermint oil is great at helping with mental clarity (which I need more of!) because it tantalizes your senses. I put a few drops under my nose to test this out.
Did it work? Definitely! This stuff is strong. It would be hard to ignore the tingling sensation it gives! Who needs caffeine when you have peppermint oil?
- Mouthwash. So for this, I mixed one drop of oil with 1/2 a cup of water, then swished it around in my mouth. Boy was it intense! This oil is not to be messed with. At first, my mouth felt tingly fresh. But after about 45 seconds, the freshness seemed to fade and my mouth still felt dirty.
Did it work? Kind of. But not for long.
- Sinus Care. I read that inhaling peppermint essential oil can help clear out your sinuses. And because my husband is a singer, he has this fancy face steamer. So I put a couple drops in it along with the water and breathed the concoction in. Did it work? I think so… Maybe it was the steam. Maybe it was the oil. Either way, my sinuses felt nice and clear!
- Room Freshener. This one made sense to me. I mean, the stuff already smells great. So what did we do? We added a couple drops to our humidifier and let the air fill our room! Did it work? For sure! Right as we walked into our room, the peppermint smell was there to greet us.
Do you use essential oils? If so, what’s your favorite way to use them? I’d love to know!
A Word on Essential Oil Safety
Truth be told, one of the reasons I was hesitant to use essential oils is because I’ve heard horror stories about them, even from my own family members. So before diving into the world of essential oils, learn about them! Here are some good guides from National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy, The Nourishing Gourmet, and Wellness Mama.
Thanks to Spark Naturals for sponsoring this post! I had a ton of fun learning about peppermint essential oil and can’t wait to experiment with more ways to use it!
Join the newsletter
Learn how to spend less and live more with the Crafty Coin newsletter.
Get my latest posts and tips sent to your inbox!